Thursday, February 3, 2011

Autism, and Beyond

Incredible class today. Really moving, and stimulating.

Obviously, what hit me the most was the video of Stephen, the "Human Camera".

I intend to show the video to just about everybody I know. It was THE COOLEST video I've ever seen.

(As a sidenote: I went to Rome in grade 12, and that is EXACTLY what it looks like. So. Cool.)

But what I came out thinking today had to do with something that was said in class. Find something that Stephen likes to do, celebrate it, use it, promote it, and have it be a reward. And that really helps him.

But, I have things I like to do, don't I? Don't you? Yes, Stephen is Autistic, and has an incredible ability that I can barely fathom. But we all have those things that we enjoy just a little bit more, things that we secretly like that we are good at.

Maybe as teachers we should spend more time trying to tap into those things for ALL of our students, not just Human Cameras.

Just a thought I guess.

1 comment:

  1. It's very easy to view those who are "special" as, exactly that: "special" when they are really like any other member of society. Your thought on tapping into what people love, not just students with IEP's or who may require it done, will most likely get the best out of every student.

    ReplyDelete