Monday, October 25, 2010

Tests and Their Limits (Time Limits, that is)

I had a midterm last night.

Cognitive Science 100. An introductory course, attempting to look at how it is that we use our minds.

Fascinating course. Two professors; one who is a computer scientist, one who is a psychologist.

Both professors are older gentlemen. I would venture to say late 50's early 60's. Both give the impression that they have been doing their jobs for a long time, and that they both wholeheartedly enjoy their jobs.

And these gentlemen managed to blow me away last night. I was downright shocked.

Before the exam started, a student put up their hand and said "we are starting a couple minutes after 7:00, so does that mean we will have until just past 8:00 as well, or just until 8:00"

They both looked at each other, puzzled. Then one of them said "I don't care how long you are here my dear. We booked the room for an extra hour and if you need that whole extra hour, I'll stay. This isn't a competition to see how fast you finish this exam, if it takes you longer to tell me all the information you know, you will absolutely not be punished for it"


Sometimes people just get it right.

Here we are. At one of the most prestigious universities that our country has to offer, and while we have been told our whole lives that "time limits prepare us for university", here is a pair of professors who get it right.

Its not a race. So why do we make it one?

I'm not just talking about extra time for a student with high needs. I write tests exceptionally quickly, but some people do not! Some people take their time, and I do not think I should be given better treatment because my brain does things differently. I think anyone who needs extra time should be given it.

Now the boundaries of this are an issue. What if a student needs until the next day? They can go home and look at their notes, and come back tomorrow? That hardly seems fair.

No, I think its about making tests that students such as myself would finish in half the alotted time, meaning students who take longer will finish right on time.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment