Friday, October 15, 2010

I Love My Hair



What a simple message.

What struck me about yesterday's class was the frankness and the openness of the discussion. Racism is often a topic that is not openly discussed, because of fear of political correctness and for the uncomfortable nature of it.

But Professor Sandhu called us right out. Made us voice exactly what was so disgusting and openly racist about some of the examples she showed us.

It got me thinking. In a class of higher level, university students, all of whom are committed to being educators and (I assume) are committed to anti-racism education, that sort of frankness worked. But how well would it work in a highschool or elementary school setting? Will our students have the sort of maturity required to have that sort of debate?

The case in point for me is the Abercrombie shirt. I think our class had an incredible discussion about it, but what are the chances you get a student in your class that tries to get a laugh by telling everyone how funny he/she thinks it is? Does that derail the whole discussion?

I also wondered whether head on discussion, and head on attempts to combat racism are the best, or if sideways and subtle reinforcements are best.

Let me explain. Many of our own views and bias' come from subtle cues in media and popular culture. May combatting those things be done best in the same fashion?

Then I saw this video. It was a fluke really, one of my friends sent it to another friend on facebook because they thought it was a cute song. What are the chances I see it on the day we watch "A Girl Like Me"?

Sesame Street clearly has decided subtly is not for them. And for its young audience, this is probably best. I think we need more things like this being shown at an early age, because as "A Girl Like Me" shows, its never too early.


No comments:

Post a Comment